This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Self Referral Services



Your GP surgery can provide a huge range of advice, examinations, treatment, vaccinations, prescriptions and other routine healthcare. 

But did you know there are lots of other local services that you can go to directly for help? No need to see your GP first.

This guide sets out the main services and how to contact them.

It will include information about support for:


  • Mental Wellbeing Concerns for >18yr olds
  • Mental Wellbeing Concerns for <18yr olds
  • Minor Injuries To Adults & Children of all ages
  • Sexual Health Advice & Treatment
  • Contraception Services
  • Podiatry/ Foot Care
  • Antenatal Services
  • Drugs & Alcohol Services
  • Social Care
  • Carers Support
  • Life Threatening Conditions

Mental wellbeing concerns for >18yr olds.

DID YOU KNOW:  You can refer yourself to the Wellbeing service if you have had any of the following symptoms:

- feeling low

- feeling stressed

- not sleeping

- feeling lonely

- feeling fed up and tearful

- feeling anxious

- feeling worried all the time

The support is offered in different ways including workshops, online self help, guided self help ( with telephone support) and individual sessions.

WHAT TO DO: Call 0300 777 0707 between 8am and 7pm or 01438 843322 between 5pm and 8am; or visit - under 'What are you looking for?' click 'Self referral form'. If you need to speak to someone urgently whilst waiting for your appointment you can ring Mental Health Help Line 01438 843322 (7pm till 8am), or Saneline on 0300 304 7000(6pm till 11pm every eve), or Samaritans on 116 113 (freephone, 24 hours, 365days a year).

Mental wellbeing concerns for <18yr olds.

DID YOU KNOW: Your child/ teenager can access counselling via their school or via The Base or The Youth Connections. They can also use confidential online counselling service If this fails or is not appropriate, you can refer your child/ teenager to our local mental health services- including CAMHS if appropriate,  without seeing your GP.

WHAT TO DO: For The Base ( for 11-19 yr olds) young person can text their details to07796522216 and someone will contact them OR email; For Youth Connections please ring 01707 266223 (24 hour answer phone), or go to their website. For online counselling and information go to kooth.comwebsite. For other referrals please ring Single Point of Access on 0300 777 0707; out of hours helpline no is 01438 843322.

Help for parents: online and telephone support service tel 08088025544 (Mon-Fri 9.30-4pm)

Email or visit their website.

Another website for parents

Minor injuries to adults and children of all ages

DID YOU KNOW: New Urgent Care Centre at the new QE2 is open 24 hours a day should be your first port of call for:

- muscle and joint injuries such as strains, sprains, sudden back or neck pain, tendinitis  and soft tissue injuries

- suspected fractures and broken bones

- bites, stings, cuts, bruises and grazes

- burns and scolds

- foreign bodies stuck in ears and noses

- minor eye injuries

- minor head injuries

- minor illnesses which would normally be treated by a GP but which can't wait till your GP practice is next open

WHAT TO DO: No appointment is necessary so you just need to present yourself at the reception at the new QE2 hospital.

Sexual health advice and treatment- free, confidential and friendly

DID YOU KNOW: you can self refer yourself if you need:

- chlamydia testing

- pregnancy testing

- contraception

- free condoms

- emergency contraception

- screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections

- HIV testing

- sexual health and advice

WHAT TO DO: Please ring 0300 008 5522, or visit for more information about the local clinics

Contraception services

DID YOU KNOW: Our local Family Planning Clinic is located in Parkway Health Centre, Birdcroft Rd, and provides full range of family planning services including pills, injections, coils and contraceptive implants. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ALSO OFFER A COMPREHENSIVE COIL/ MIRENA FITTING SERVICE WITHIN OUR PRACTICE. The external Family Planning Clinic also provides free emergency contraception, condoms, pregnancy testing, and referrals to pregnancy termination services. All services are free and confidential. THERE IS A DROP IN CLINIC FOR THOSE UNDER 25.

WHAT TO DO: Please ring 01707 386863, or visit for more information.

Podiatry/ foot care - available for certain groups of patients only

DID YOU KNOW: you can access this service if you have a condition that can put your feet at risk, eg diabetes, history of ulceration or infection, rheumatoid arthritis, peripheral vascular disease, reduced sensation in the feet etc.

This service does not undertake home visits.

WHAT TO DO: Please pick up a self referral form from the reception, this needs to be fully filled in by you, and posted to the Podiatry Service (address is on the form).

Antenatal services

DID YOU KNOW: You can self refer to our local antenatal service, without an appointment with your GP.

WHAT TO DO: Self referral form can be downloaded at

Information for patients about the process on the same website under patients-visitors, our services, maternity.

Drug and alcohol services

DID YOU KNOW: If you or your loved one needs help with problems related to drug or alcohol use you can self refer for help and support to our local services.

WHAT TO DO: If the person in need is >18- you can contact local CRI service ( located in Hatfield) - Spectrum on 01707 256532, or out of hours -helpline on 0800 6523169; there is also a drop in service every day apart from Saturdays, between 2 and 4 pm; or you can contact Resolve ( located in WGC) on 01707 690739.

If you are <18 you can contact A-DASH ( Adolescent Drug and Alcohol Service in Hertfordshire) on 01992 531917 or text to 07770 537227, or email ,

out of hours you can ring 0800 776600.

Social care

DID YOU KNOW: You can refer yourself or your elderly relative/neighbour (with their consent) for assessment by local social services if they are not managing at home on their own.

WHAT TO DO: Please ring Integrated Point of Access on 0300 1234042/ 4043

You can also get support and advice from AGE UK on 01707 323272, or 0800 169 2081.

Carers support

DID YOU KNOW: If you are a carer you can get much needed support.

WHAT TO DO: Please ring Carers in Herts on 01992 586969, or visit their

Life-threatening conditions

DON'T FORGET: For suspected heart attack, stroke, or any other serious or life threatening illness or injury in an adult or child ALWAYS DIAL 999.

And if you are not sure...

DON'T FORGET: For advice on health conditions you can dial NHS 111 free from any phone, at any time, day and night.

Or for local services you can contact HertsHelp on 0300 1234044 for free help, advice and information- if they are not able to help they can put you in touch with someone else who can.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website